How to celebrate staff for Paraoptometric Recognition Week
Paraoptometric Recognition Week--quickly approaching on Sept. 15-22--brings new reasons to celebrate this year.
Optometrists can recognize staff by ordering promotional kits.
Recently passed AOA bylaws changes open AOA membership to paraoptometrics beginning Jan. 1, 2014, at no additional cost to AOA-member doctors or staff. The changes also open the door to expanded education and training for approximately 75,000 paraoptometric staff.
"When I left the House of Delegates, my mind envisioned all the possibilities ahead for the profession," said Paraoptometric Section Immediate Past Chair Beverly Roberts, CPOT. "The section will soon transition to the Paraoptometric Resource Center and begin a new chapter in delivering programs and services to paraoptometrics. Open access to member benefits will translate into helping paraoptometrics provide even better patient care."
Recognition through enrollment
Enrolling staff as AOA members is one way to recognize the value they bring to a practice. They will have opportunities including continuing education, billing and coding webinars, access to members-only AOA Web pages, reduced registration fees for Optometry's Meeting® and many other benefits tailored specifically to them. AOA member optometrists will be able to enroll staff during the fourth quarter of 2013.
In the meantime, optometrists also can recognize staff by ordering promotional kits from the AOA. Kits contain a downloadable poster, table tent, customizable press release and recognition ideas. To order a kit, e-mail ParaRecognition@aoa.org.
How to prepare for enrollment
Before enrollment opens later this year, optometrists can take the following steps to prepare:
- Determine your practice's main contact. Will the doctor be enrolling staff and providing updates, or will another individual, such as the practice's office manager, be designated to act on the member doctor's behalf?
- Determine key locations. Staff may only be linked to a single location. If the practice has more than one location, determine which staff will be linked to which practice location. If a practice has more than one AOA member, determine what staff will be linked to which AOA member ID. You will need to have AOA member ID number(s) to enroll staff.
- Gather the following information for each paroptometric/optometric staff to complete the enrollment form:
- Maiden name/other name known by
- Date of birth
- Unique e-mail address for each individual (no practice group e-mail accounts)