New member benefit proving popular as ODs enroll paraoptometrics as associate members
Surging enrollment numbers show member optometrists are taking advantage of the AOA bylaws change that allows enrollment of non-OD staff for AOA associate membership at no additional dues cost.
Since the beginning of the year nearly 750 member doctors have enrolled more than 3,000 paraoptometric staff as associate members of AOA. And it's clear to see why the strong response with the available benefits.
The associate membership provides a wealth of benefits through the Paraoptometric Resource Center (PRC) including:
- Online continuing education (CE) articles worth six hours of CE credits
- Paraoptometric Skill Builder® Beginner Level 1 program
- Billing and coding webinar series
- Access to member-only web pages
- Discounted fees for paraoptometric education material
- Reduced registration fees for Optometry's Meeting®
"The AOA Paraoptometric Resource Center offers a unique and essential opportunity to all optometric staff," says Erlinda Rodriguez, CPO, Paraoptometric Resource Center executive committee member. "This is the moment when all AOA members could see their practice strengthen and provide optimum care to their patients by having a well-trained and committed staff. Enrolling all their staff today is the best way to see the difference.
Paraoptometric staff interested in gaining access to these resources should request their AOA-member optometrist enroll them via an online registration process.
To enroll staff:
- Make sure you have the legal name of the staff member (as it appears on their Driver's License), date of birth and an email address unique to each staff person (no practice group emails)
- Login to www.aoa.org
- Hover over the Optometrist tab, and click on the My Profile/My AOA selection
- Click the "Manage Staff" tab
- Enter information for each non-OD staff member you wish to enroll
Associate memberships will automatically renew each year as long as the paraoptometrics remain employed by the AOA-member optometrist. The associate membership will not affect Commission on Paraoptometric Certification (CPC) status, and CPC will continue to operate without any changes.
For a step-by-step video tutorial of how to enroll your paraoptometric staff today, click here and select the enrollment tutorial on the right-hand side of the page.