Proposed policy for ACOE to publish the basis for accreditation decisions
At its Annual Meeting in June of 2013, the ACOE accepted the following motion outlining a proposal for providing reasons to the public for the basis of accreditation decisions. Prior to adoption of changes to the process, the ACOE is soliciting feedback from the community of interest and any interested party regarding the following proposed policy change:
That the following policy on transparency be accepted and distributed to the community of interest for comment to be considered prior to adoption and publication:
The ACOE will publish its accreditation decisions, including the basis for any final decisions, on its web site within 30 days of the decision. The information to be published will include:
- the type of program (professional optometric degree, optometric residency, or optometric technician);
- the program's sponsor, and in the case of an optometric residency not sponsored by a school or college of optometry, the name of the affiliated optometric institution;
- accreditation status or action;
- the year of the next currently scheduled site visit; and
- the Council's summary of compliance with the standards, which specifies the Council's basis for any final decision.
Updates to the summary of compliance will be published when the ACOE determines that the standards are met.
Please review the above proposed policy change and send any comments you might have by no later than December 10, 2013 via email to email@example.com or to
Joyce Urbeck, ACOE Administrative Director, 243 N. Lindbergh Blvd., Floor 1, St. Louis. MO 63141.
The ACOE will consider the comments received and the adoption of the policy at the ACOE Winter Meeting on February 7-9, 2014.
This call for comments was also distributed via memo.
This call for comments was posted on 10/15/2013