Thank you for your interest in joining the AOA and taking an active role in strengthening optometry. As a post-graduate/resident of an accredited institution of higher education, you are eligible for direct AOA post-graduate/resident membership.
Post-graduate/resident membership continues until the end of the calendar year in which you complete your residency. The post-graduate/resident classification must be renewed annually, when appropriate.
Use the appropriate post-graduate/resident membership application to initiate a new, or renew a current, post-graduate/resident membership for an additional year. To qualify, your status must be one of the following:
- Non-practicing optometrist/full-time student in an accredited institution of higher education.
- Optometrist engaged full-time as a resident or a fellow in a residency program approved by the Accreditation Council on Optometric Education or by a school or college of optometry which is accredited by the Accreditation Council on Optometric Education, or any full time graduate program. This does not have to be an optometric graduate program, but can be any graduate program.
- Optometrist engaged full-time as an intern in an internship program required by state law.
1. Download the appropriate application:
Post-graduate affiliating through a state association or other AOA affiliate
Post-graduate affiliating through the American Optometric Student Association (AOSA)
2. Complete all information requested.
(Note: Certification of full-time student status must be made by an official at your educational institution and must be noted on the application by their signature. Incomplete applications cannot be processed.)
3. Mail your completed application for processing and approval to:
AOA Dues Accounting
243 N. Lindbergh Blvd., Floor 1
St. Louis, MO 63141-7881
Upon approval, you will receive your AOA membership card.
NOTE: If you were previously an AOA student member, you will maintain the same ID number. This number will not change, regardless of changes made to your membership classification and status. Your AOA ID number is required for AOA website member access and to receive a reduced student registration fee at Optometry's Meeting®.
Questions regarding your application or the membership process should be directed to DuesAccounting@aoa.org.