The American Optometric Association Paraoptometric Section is the nation's largest organization serving the needs of optometric assistants and technicians.
AOA Paraoptometric Section Mission Statement
The American Optometric Association Paraoptometric Section will seek to ensure that the education and training for all paraoptometrics is consistent with and reflects the growth of the paraoptometric profession.
What are Paraoptometrics?
Paraoptometrics are allied health professionals who assist optometrists in providing their highest level of vision care to patients. Front office procedures, chair-side assisting, pre-testing, contact lens instruction, frame styling and fitting, and vision therapy are just a few of the many duties paraoptometrics perform while working directly with an optometrist.
Any ancillary, allied health professional sponsored by an AOA member optometrist is eligible for membership in the AOA Paraoptometric Section. Members of the Paraoptometric Section are also associate members of the American Optometric Association, the national organization representing the optometric profession.
Benefits Available to Members
- Opportunity to earn six free continuing education credits
- Access to Paraoptometric Skill Builder® Beginner Level 1
- Access to Webinar Rewind featuring free, online billing and coding training
- Discounts on staff development and certification study materials
- Access to education topics in the Article Archive
- Paraoptometric quarterly e-newsletter
- AOA News online
- First Look
- AOA blog
- Email updates
- AOA Annual Report
View the New Member Handbook
View the Paraoptometric Section Bylaws
View the 2011 PS Member Survey