Creamy Orange-Cherry Oatmeal
Especially rich in: the omega-3 fat DHA, vitamin C, vitamin E, folate, and zinc
Alro rich in: iron, magnesium, potassium, selenium, fiber
- 1 1/2 cups DHA-fortified milk or soymilk, such as Horizon milk w/ DHA or 8th Continent Complete soymilk
- 2/3 cup dried tart cherries
- 1 cup old fashioned oats
- 2 tablespoons orange juice concentrate
- 1 tablespoon chopped pecans (optional)
- In a medium saucepan, heat milk/soymilk and cherries on medium high, stirring occasionally to prevent burning. When simmering, add oats. Reduce heat and simmer uncovered until oats are cooked and liquid is absorbed, approximately 7 minutes. Remove from heat
- Add OJ concentrate and stir thoroughly. Pour into bowls and sprinkle with nuts if desired.
Maximize the vitamin C content by adding the OJ at the very end, after cooking. This oatmeal is so sweet, you won’t even need sugar!
Makes 2 servings.
Nutritional Information (per serving): 417 Calories; 13% fat (6 g total, < 1 g saturated), 75% carbohydrate (78 g), 12% protein (12.5 g), 0 mg cholesterol, 7 g fiber, 26 mg vitamin C, 1 mg vitamin E, 136 mg sodium.