Roasted Garlic and Kale Soup
Especially rich in: lutein/zeaxanthin, vitamin C, vitamin E, folate, and zinc
Also rich in: fiber, B vitamins, calcium, copper, iron, manganese, potassium, and selenium
- 1 bulb of garlic
- 1 cup uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 1 /2 cup onion, diced
- 2 tablespoons fresh sage, chopped (or 2 teaspoons dried sage)
- 8 cups kale, washed, drained, and chopped
- 1 1 /2 pound sweet potato, peeled and cut into bite-size pieces
- 8 cups chicken stock
- 1 tablespoon “Better Than Bouillon” chicken base or 1 to 2 chicken bouillon cubes (optional)
- 2 cans butter beans, drained and rinsed
- salt and pepper to taste
- Heat oven to 425°F.
- Wrap garlic head in foil and bake for 40 minutes or until soft. Remove from foil, cool, and remove cloves from papery shell. Set cloves aside.
- Cook macaroni according to directions on package until al dente. Drain and set aside.
- In a large, non-stick kettle, heat oil over medium heat. Add onions and sage and cook until onion is transparent, stirring occasionally, approximately 5 minutes. Add kale and continue to stir for another 5 minutes. Add sweet potatoes, stock, and chicken base. Bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer until sweet potato is soft, but still firm, approximately 15 minutes.
- Add macaroni and beans to soup, adjust seasonings, and heat through for 5 minutes. Serve hot.
Makes 8 generous servings.
Nutritional Information (per serving): 278 Calories; 14 % fat (4.3g total,