Green Mashed Potatoes
Especially rich in: lutein/zeaxanthin and vitamin C
Also rich in: fiber, potassium
- 2 1 /2 pounds russet potatoes, peeled and cut into large chunks
- 1 bunch collard greens, washed, stemmed and cut into 1 /2" strips (approximately 8 cups)
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1 /2 cup fat-free 1 /2 & 1 /2 cream
- 1 tablespoon butter
- salt and pepper to taste
- Place potatoes in large pot of cold water, bring to boil, reduce heat, and simmer until tender, approximately 20 minutes. Drain and return potatoes to pot.
- Place collards and garlic in a large saucepan over medium heat. Bring to simmer and steam covered for 10 minutes or until cooked through, but still bright green, stirring occasionally to prevent burning. Remove from heat.
- Add remaining ingredients to potatoes, along with collards. Mash or whip to desired consistency. Add more cream if too thick.
Makes 8 servings (approx. 2/3 cup each).
Nutritional Information (per serving): 176 Calories; 8 % fat (1.6 g total, <1 g saturated), 36 mg omega-3s 81 % carbohydrate (35.6 g), 11 % protein (4.8 g), 4 mg cholesterol, 3 g fiber, 27 mg vitamin C, 1 mg vitamin E, 0.5 mg zinc, 39 mg sodium.