Join the Paraoptometric Section
Who are Paraoptometrics?
Paraoptometrics are allied health professionals who assist optometrists in providing their highest level of vision care to patients. Front office procedures, chair-side assisting, pre-testing, contact lens instruction, frame styling and fitting, and vision therapy are just a few of the many duties paraoptometrics perform while working directly with an optometrist.
What is the AOA Paraoptometric Section?
The American Optometric Association Paraoptometric Section is the nation’s largest organization serving the needs of optometric assistants and technicians. The purpose of the Paraoptometric Section is to offer continuing education opportunities, service recognition, professional development and promotion, and opportunities for its members to be involved with a national, professional association. The Paraoptometric Section promotes a health-team concept in the delivery of optometric care and enhances the identity of both the optometrist and the paraoptometric.
Who is Eligible for Membership in the AOA Paraoptometric Section?
Any ancillary, allied health professional sponsored by an AOA member optometrist is eligible for membership in the AOA Paraoptometric Section. Members of the Paraoptometric Section are also associate members of the American Optometric Association, the national organization representing the optometric profession.
Why Become a Member of the AOA Paraoptometric Section?
There are many benefits of membership in the AOA Paraoptometric Section. For pennies a day ($63 yearly fee)Section members receive:
- Continuing Education (CE) - six hours of FREE online continuing education credit opportunities each year through articles relevant to paraoptometric responsibilities. Additional CE is available through the Article Archive program. Find continuing education opportunities all over the country on the AOA PS Web site.
- Discounts on AOA PS materials and Optometry’s Meeting® - including study guides for certification, self assessment exams, education modules for staff and cross training, and reduced registration for AOAs Annual Congress and the Paraoptometric Section Annual Conference.
- Paraoptometric Skill Builder ® - This easy-to-use, online staff training makes learning easy and convenient. Currently, this educational series is designed for new staff, but additional levels are in development.
- AOA PS Newsletter - quarterly e-newsletter keeps you informed of paraoptometric programs, including FREE Paraoptometric Recognition Week kits, nomination information for the Paraoptometric of the Year, Community Service and Bridgeway (State Affiliate) awards, and other important Section news.
- AOA Web site and Publications- Stay up-to-date with current optometric news and breakthrough research that advances the art and science of optometry with the AOA News, AOA News Online, and AOA-TV.
- Optometry’s Career Center® (OCC) – A national, online job matching service for optometry that provides detailed information for paraoptometric employment.
- Membership pin and certificate – Proudly display your commitment to providing quality patient care. New members also receive a free gift for use in their daily responsibilities.
- Research and Information Center – This new center works with the AOA Information & Data Committee to conduct surveys to collecting, analyzing and disseminate socio-economic and other data relating to eye care, the paraoptometric profession and the ophthalmic industry. AOA members may access the highlights of each of the surveys by visiting www.aoa.org.
How Can I Join the AOA Paraoptometric Section?
Annual dues for membership in the Section (and associate membership in the AOA) is only $63 per year. Simply complete the membership application, enclose the dues payment in U.S. funds only, and send it in by fax or mail today.
Membership applications may be sent to:
AOA Paraoptometric Section
243 N. Lindbergh Blvd., Floor 1
St. Louis, Missouri 63141-7881
(314) 991-4101 FAX