The legislative and policy-making body of the American Optometric Association is the House of Delegates, which is established and functions as provided in the bylaws. The administrative body of this association is the Board of Trustees, which implements the policies established by the House of Delegates and performs such duties as are prescribed in the bylaws.
- Constitution and Bylaws - Effective January 1, 2020
- House of Delegates Resolutions and Substantive Motions
- House of Delegates Procedures
House of Delegates
Optometry's Meeting® 2021: Thursday, June 24 & Saturday, June 26
For more than a century, optometry's preeminent assembly of leaders and decision-makers has led the advancement of our profession. Join us as the House of Delegates discusses the latest developments in optometry and essential governance updates, news from the AOA Board of Trustees and the presentation of awards. All members are invited to attend sessions, including the election and installation of the AOA Board of Trustees. Hear the latest in advocacy news and accomplishments, and glimpse the future of optometry from our AOA leaders.
Agenda & Handbook
- Resolution A - Restrictions on Certain Activities of Trustees, Officers and Volunteers of the American Optometric Association
- Resolution B - Building a Diverse Profession
- Resolution C - The Optometric Oath
- Resolution D - Biomedical Therapy and the Role of Vision Rehabilitation
Judicial Council Motions: 5-Year Review
- Motion 1: Continue without Modification
- Motion 2: Delete - Executed
- Motion 3: Delete - Obsolete
- Motion 4: Remove and Archive
- Motion 5: Continue with Modification
- Motion 6: Continue with Nonsubstantive Modification
- Motion 7: Combine 1913 and 1883 - Modification
- Motion 8: Combine 1923 and 1981 - Modification
2021-2022 Board of Trustees Elections
Familiarize yourself with those doctors seeking to represent members on the AOA Board of Trustees. Be sure to check out our recent news article, containing full bio information for each candidate.
2021-2022 AOA Board of Trustees Candidates (left to right): Robert C. Layman, O.D.; James P. DeVleming, O.D.; Ronald L. Benner, O.D.; Steven T. Reed, O.D.; Jacqueline M. Bowen, O.D.; Teri K. Geist, O.D.; Belinda R. Starkey, O.D.
Section Bylaws Amendment
Advancing Optometry: State Advocacy Summit 2021, Aug. 30-31, is a virtual opportunity for state advocacy volunteers and leaders, and optometry’s advocates, to collaborate on best practices.
Virtual interviewing has allowed employers to connect to a broader pool of applicants from locations nationwide—get tips for employers and applicants for a stellar virtual interview.
With the Department of Veterans Affairs decision to modernize its electronic health record (EHR) system and its desire to standardize processes, procedures, data and coding, formation of new practice standards is being proposed for all non-MD/DO specialties—including doctors of optometry.