- SD-Alzheimer's Disease: Diagnostic Criteria, Prevention and Lifestyle Management
- SD-An Interactive Review of Ocular Systemic Syndromes
- SD-An Update on Thyroid Eye Disease
- SD-Autoimmune Disease and the Eye Series 1: Autoimmune Disease and the Anterior Segment
- SD-Autoimmune Disease and the Eye Series 2: Autoimmune Disease and the Posterior Segment
- SD-Autoimmune Disease and the Eye Series 3: A Tailored Approach to Uveitis and Systemic Disease
- SD-Current Treatment of Diabetes
- SD-Diabetes Cases & Conundrums
- SD-Exploring the Autoimmune Diseases: A Systemic Approach
- SD-Flashing Lights: Land Mines & Peril Ahead
- SD-Follow Your Gut: A Guide to Micro-Nutrients and Disease Prevention
- SD-G-Eye: A Team Approach to Managing Gastrointestinal Disorders
- SD-Life Threatening Eye Signs & Symptoms that Can't Be Missed!
- SD-Nutritional and Lifestyle Modifications To Reduce Risk Of AMD Onset And Progression
- SD-Ocular Manifestations of Sickle Cell Disease
- SD-OMG its OMG!
- SD-Ophthalmic Manifestations of COVID-19
- SD-Optometry's Role on the Diabetes Education Team
- SD-Pets - Their link to Ocular Infections, Allergies and Trauma: What Every OD Should Know
- SD-The Eye ER: Nothing's Off Limits
- SD-Top Ten Tells How Systemic Diseases Reveal Their Hand
- SD-Tourette Syndrome, OCD, ADHD and the OD
- SD-When a Slit Lamp Exam Can Save a Life The Essential Role of Optometrists
- SD-What Every Optometrist Needs to Know about Paraneoplastic Syndromes
SD-Sleep Medicine and the Eye
Restful and rejuvenating sleep plays a pivotal and under-appreciated role in systemic health as well as a range of eye conditions. These include the familiar floppy eyelid syndrome, but also pseudotumor cerebri and NAION. Several new studies now link obstructive sleep apnea with glaucoma, recalcitrant diabetic retinopathy and macular degeneration. Besides preventing disease, good sleep is the foundation of high alertness and attention, good mood, high-quality performance and sharp vision.
Stuart Richer, O.D.
AOA Expiration Date:
Constant presence: Alliance builds reputation for patient safety advocacy
Founded five years ago, the Health Care Alliance for Patient Safety (HCAPS) is making good on its mission to advocate for patient safety and protect the fundamental doctor-patient relationship. The alliance’s advocacy will be recognized with the AOA’s Apollo Award during a ceremony at the 2023 Optometry’s Meeting® June 21-24.
What defines the value of care we provide?
Health and vision plans have not adapted and grown with the care we deliver but hold back optometry’s momentum.
How to speak the universal language of care
How to create a bilingual and culturally sensitive practice, why it matters to patients and how it can set you apart from the competition.