As an optometric educator, you are responsible for shaping the future of the profession by teaching and being mentors. The AOA is here to support your dedication to optometry.
The AOA Faculty & Student Membership Liaisons have representation from each school and college of optometry. This group is here to keep you informed on issues that may affect the profession you are teaching.
"The AOA allows one individual to be a part of something greater, ensuring that our professional lives and livelihood remain important and protected."
-Janice McMahon, O.D., associate professor, Illinois College of Optometry; chair, AOA Faculty & Student Membership Liaisons
Whether you're looking for non-clinical business basics or ways to help your students learn more about the "business side" of optometry, we've got you covered. Here you'll find classroom tools designed to help your students be successful after graduation—and beyond.
Visit AOAExcel ® and discover practice management rescources, including:
- Optometry's Career Center business opportunities.
- Practice financing and insurance.
- HIPAA compliance education.
- Retirement savings solutions.
- Credit card processing technology.
The Accreditation Council on Optometric Education (ACOE) provides accreditation and residency resources, including
- Professional Optometric Degree Programs.
- Optometric Residency Programs.
- Optometric Technician Programs.
- Student Achievement Data.
AOA+ Leadership Society
The AOA+ Leadership Society is a progrm for students who want to build leadership skills, advance their careers through networking, personal and professional development, and gain specialized education outside of the classroom. Enhance your resume by adding this academic achievement—membership in the 2020 AOA+ Leadership Society.
To earn a Certificate of Completion and 2020 AOA+ Leadership Society commemorative lapel pin, complete the following requirements:
- AOSA Optometry Student Bowl powered by Essilor virtual attendance
- Earn 4 hours of CE credits during AOA's Virtual Learning Livecast.
- Register for the webinar: Effectively Communicating with Patients (sponsored by Allergan and Alcon)—Aug.25, 8 p.m. CT.
- Advocacy webinar in September taking place at Virtual AOA on Capitol Hill—Register to attend the Virtual AOA on Capitol Hill—Sept. 9-10, 2020. Visit aoa.org/events/calendar-of-events/virtual-aoa-on-capitol-hill for more details.
- InfantSEE ® Virtual Workshop in Oct. 22, 2020.
- Order your complimentary set of business cards, sponsored by AOAExcel.
- Check your member profile on aoa.org/myprofile and update for accuracy.
Note: There is no registration or sign-up for the Leaership Society. Simply register to attend the specifc webinars, education, events, log into your profile and order business cards. Attendance and/or participation will be tracked for each individual.
We invite you to explore AOA educator resources and discover new classroom tools to help you. Also, we encourage your feedback. If you have any suggestions for new classroom tool content development, please contact Stacey Struckhoff.
Does the Medicare population of older U.S. adults underutilize comprehensive eye exams as a prevention strategy against sustaining traumatic brain injuries from falls? The AOA Health Policy Institute suggests the answer is yes.
COVID-19 lockdowns took their toll on optometry practices, but the AOA’s advocacy and guidance in accessing federal relief measures helped the profession recover over a billion dollars.
Optometry’s Fund for Disaster Relief stands ready to assist doctors on their path to recovery following an historic 2020 wildfire season in the western U.S.