Step by Step Application Checklist
Step by Step Application Checklist- A guide for Paraoptometric Certification and Renewal
The checklist below is just to be used as a guide to applying for an examination. You MUST read the entire candidate handbook and refer to the complete policies and procedures provided therein. Any questions about the candidate handbook may be directed to CPC@AOA.org. All the items listed below can be found in the candidate handbook or by following the website links provided by each task.
Read the candidate handbook – applicants are required to attest to having read and understood the policies documented in the handbook when completing an application.
Verify your eligibility
Select the appropriate examination level Review the exam details, fees and refund policy
Before applying for an examination, you will need an electronic copy of one of the following to upload with your examination application
- For CPO exam – a completed and signed CPO Attestation Form
- For CPOA/CPOT exam:
- Current paraoptometric certificate, or
- Approved CPOA Reference Form letter, or
- Proof of graduation within the last 5 years from an approved optometric assistant/technician program
Check that you have a current, unexpired (or temporary) government issued photo ID in your legal name
View exam schedule and select a testing period
Locate a testing center that you are willing to travel to at https://www.prometric.com/CPC
Review the reschedule policy and fees
Review Prometric testing policies and procedures and know what to expect at the testing facility Review the instructions for completing an application
Begin your application at https://ptcny.com/test-sponsors/cpc/. Contact Professional Testing Corporation (PTC) for technical support or issues with the application at 212.356.0660.
- Use your personal or unshared business email address on your application
- The name on your application must exactly match the name on your current, unexpired, government-issued photo ID
- Payment is due at the time of application; applications that are submitted without a credit or debit card payment will not be reviewed or accepted by (PTC) until payment is provided. All payments must be received by the stated application
- Proofread your application before submitting it. No refunds are provided for registering for the wrong examination, the wrong testing period, or registering under a name that doesn’t match your photo ID.
After your application is approved by PTC you will receive a confirmation email followed by a scheduling authorization email. You will not be able to schedule an examination appointment with Prometric until you have received the scheduling authorization email that contains your candidate ID number.
Schedule your examination with Prometric online at https://www.prometric.com/CPC or call 800.741.0934.
AOA leaders mobilize resources for contemporary practice expansion and growth fueled by recent scope and recognition victories.
Sign up to receive early notification of Optometry’s Meeting® registration opening in January and secure your spot for the profession’s premier meeting in Washington, D.C., June 21-24.