Paraoptometric Resources and Certification
Paraoptometrics are allied health professionals who assist doctors of optometry in providing their highest level of vision care to patients. The AOA Education Center is the nation's largest organization serving the needs of optometric assistants and technicians.
The American Optometric Association Education Center seeks to ensure that the education and training for all paraoptometrics are consistent with and reflects the growth of the paraoptometric profession. Front office procedures, chair-side assisting, pre-testing, contact lens instruction, frame styling, and fitting, billing/coding, office manager and vision therapy are just a few of the many duties paraoptometrics perform while working directly with a doctor of optometry.
Commission on Paraoptometric Certification
Who we are and what we do
- A volunteer commission of the AOA, comprised of certified paraoptometric and doctors of optometry, that promotes certification of optometric staff through education and testing.
- Identifies core competencies required for each of its four certification designations.
- Coordinates areas of development for the testing program, using designated volunteers.
- Develops programs to promote the value of the paraoptometric to the optometric community. Promotes the value of paraoptometric certification to optometric educators and students.
- Promotes to the public the important roles that certified paraoptometrics may perform in an optometric practice.
- Email: Education Center
- Phone: 800.365.2219
- Fax: 314.991.4101
Changes in coding and reimbursements worth knowing. Meanwhile, with the clock winding down on 2024, the AOA continues to press for Congress to act on reforms that would give doctors of optometry an annual, permanent inflationary Medicare payment tied to the Medicare Economic Index.
🔊 Hear why colleagues say the annual AOA and AOSA member meeting is the place to be this June 19-22, 2024, and learn how you can get priority access to registration before everyone else this January.
Check out how InfantSEE® used donations in 2023 and consider making an end-of-year gift to support the program in 2024 and beyond.