The effects of gaming and ways to combat eye stress
Discover helpful tips and tricks to beat digital eye strain while playing.
Did you know over 227 million Americans play video games? And that number is only expected to rise, along with the time we spend on our screens. In fact, the average gamer spends over eight hours per day, with about half of them spent playing video games across many types of screens.
Excessive screen time can lead to digital eye strain and an increased risk of myopia (nearsightedness). A recent survey conducted by the AOA found that many gamers are experiencing eye-related symptoms from their gaming and over half have already been diagnosed with an eye-related issue.
Since gaming is especially visually demanding, it’s important to take extra precautions and follow the eye health tips below.
Eye health tips for games
- Use the 20-20-20 rule in-between matches (Every 20 minutes, look at something 20 feet away for 20 seconds).
- Create an automated gameplay pause in your settings or reminder to blink.
- Keep artificial tears or lubricating eye drops on hand.
- Stop any gaming or computer activity at least one hour before bedtime.
- Stay hydrated with plenty of water.
- Clean your face and eyelashes daily.
- Use daily contact lenses vs. monthly for late night gamers.
- Distance yourself your device, at least 20 inches for larger screens and 13 inches for smaller devices.
- Ensure that room lighting is similar to screen brightness.
- Most importantly, visit and talk with your doctor of optometry.
Whether you’re a professional streamer or casual mobile gamer, we all can take steps to play our best while keeping our eyes healthy. Download the full gamer survey infograpic to learn more about the effects of gaming and ways to combat eye stress.
Optometry’s Meeting® announces keynote speaker, special events for Washington, D.C.
Early-bird registration is available through Friday, March 31, so lock-in your low, AOA-member rate for four days of industry-leading education, networking, practice solutions and entertainment in the nation’s capital.
How to handle bad reviews and ratings
While a single poor review often doesn’t ruin a practice’s reputation, it does pose a challenge considering how search results dictate decisions these days.
Most asked coding questions: dilation
The AOA’s experts provide answers to the questions your colleagues are asking.