Vision plan abuses top of mind? Register for AOA’s town hall on reimbursement, coverage fairness advocacy
A profession-wide, virtual town hall focused on the challenges that optometry practices face from anti-doctor, anti-patient strategies used by vision plans will be hosted by AOA’s Board of Trustees on Jan. 4, 2024. Thousands of doctors, both AOA members and nonmembers alike, are expected to join the interactive session as AOA leaders plan to:
- Seek doctor comments, concerns, complaints and questions related to active plan abuses.
- Review the profession’s 2023 state and national advocacy efforts.
- Detail advocacy initiatives planned for 2024.
“The fight for reimbursement and coverage fairness for optometry is and will continue to be our highest advocacy priority,” says Ronald L. Benner, O.D., AOA president. “With the AOA and our affiliates leading the charge for expanded enforcement and tough new laws to stop plan abuses, it’s essential for us to continue gathering reports from impacted doctors, share advocacy updates and, together, build support for policy change.”
What: AOA Profession-Wide Townhall on Reimbursement and Coverage Fairness
When: 9 p.m. ET, Thursday, Jan. 4, 2024
Register now to participate in this town hall meeting. Doctors are encouraged to circulate this information among colleagues; the session is open to all optometrists.
4 steps to take before attending the AOA town hall
- Submit a question to the AOA board at email@example.com. All questions submitted will be considered for inclusion in the town hall discussion, but time is limited. Every question, concern, comment or complaint submitted will receive a direct reply via email from Dr. Benner or an AOA board member.
- Anti-trust considerations for this conversation. Pursuant to Section 5(a) of the Federal Trade Commission Act, professional associations like the AOA are strictly prohibited from coordinating the contracting decisions of their members. The purpose of this town hall is to collect information from practicing doctors to assist the AOA in its efforts to address these issues through constitutionally protected legislative and regulatory advocacy.
- Help build support for AOA-backed legislation. Visit the AOA’s Action Center, or text “DOC” to 855.465.5124, to urge your U.S. senators and House members to support the Dental and Optometric Care (DOC) Access Act, H.R. 1385/S. 1424. Vision plans are the bill’s only opponents and lobby Congress every day to defeat it. Read more about the DOC Access Act in the AOA’s fact sheet, or watch a short video from Patients Rising! about this important legislation.
- Access the AOA’s advocacy reading list for background. Learn more about the vision plan advocacy that the AOA and affiliates have accomplished throughout the past year, and access the reports that AOA will be referencing, including the AOA Health and Vision Plan Action Report, a day-to-day tally of member doctor complains and the AOA’s actions; the AOA Health Policy Institute Report on stagnation in vision plan fee schedules; and the Avalon Health Economics Report on how plan mandates result in higher costs, less convenience and worse health outcomes.
Continue reading AOA’s advocacy updates, including:
- U.S. House investigative committee calls for scrutiny of vision plans
- New Texas law halts vision plans’ anti-competitive, monopolistic behaviors
- Optometry’s wins over abusive vision plans stacking up
- DOC Access Act gains Senate companion
- Texas’ vision plan law takes effect, court challenge continues
- Doctors of optometry in Texas and Nevada build bulwark against vision plan abuses
- CMS takes aim at Medicare Advantage plans misrepresenting vision benefits
- AOA, state affiliate tracking California lawsuit alleging VSP monopolistic practices
- Affiliates, AOA share forward-thinking strategies for optometry’s advocates
- AOA and state affiliates rally to decry and defeat discriminatory ‘not-a-doctor’ bills
Experiencing difficulties with a health or vision plan? Report these challenges to the AOA Third Party Center at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Join the Vision Plan Town Hall webinar
As the AOA and affiliates continue advocating for an equitable system that fairly values optometric care, the entire profession is invited to attend a town hall at 9 p.m. ET, Thursday, Jan. 4, 2024.
Learn about the priority federal issues that hundreds of optometrists and optometry students will take to Capitol Hill as part of optometry’s single-largest annual advocacy gathering, April 14-16, and how you can join.
Key congressional health panel chairs join forces to probe impact of VBM vertical integration and acquisition strategies.