Here are the AOA's 20 biggest news stories of 2018:
- Tusculum denied optometry program by institutional accreditor, AOA spurs standards dialogue
- Coding changes to know before Oct. 1
- FDA: Opternative in violation of federal law; AOA complaint validated
- Opternative's 'doctor locator' draws questions
- CMS: Texting PHI among health care providers OK with caveats
- Nova, National Vision end agreement; AOA appealed for academic 'autonomy'
- Concerns validated, AOA stands ground amid Hubble row
- Citing strict standards, AOA alerts ACOE to test results, new school proposals
- Ruling allows lawsuit against NBEO to proceed
- New tax rules good for small business, experts say
- Doctors step up and tell FTC to abandon contact lens paperwork proposal
- AOA scores big wins in Medicare's 2019 PFS rulemaking
- Tusculum media campaign prompts AOA insistence on accreditation standards
- OCT scrutinized for neurodegenerative detecting properties
- Concerning ill patients: Should they stay, or should they go?
- Blue light hastens vision loss? 'Not so fast,' doctors say
- AOA alerts Facebook to Opternative violation, requests ads removed
- Bad hires happen
- Toys and games nice and naughty for vision development
- Fear not: 4 ways to counter kids' exam anxiety
AOA members report wind and rain damage, but harder to overcome are widespread power outages in the greater New Orleans area—and it could be days to weeks before power is fully restored. Optometry’s Fund for Disaster Relief, created to help doctors of optometry in the wake of Hurricane Katrina 16 years ago, can aid doctors and students.
The public health emergency continues to cast its shadow on a new school year, but it’s far from the only thing on educators’ minds. How are optometric faculty and staff preparing for the year ahead?
With wildfires burning and a prediction of an active hurricane season, doctors of optometry and students have somewhere to turn for financial support in the event of disaster. Optometry’s Fund for Disaster Relief (OFDR) is optometry's exclusive financial support program that provides immediate assistance to those in need after disasters. Learn how to apply for a grant or make a donation.