From momentous advocacy wins to technology breakthroughs and a distressing data breach, 2016 was filled with major news that impacted doctors of optometry.
Here are the AOA's 20 most-read stories of the year:
- Credit breach continues grip on optometrists, students
- VSP spells doom gloom
- Parkinsons detectable through eye exam
- FDA approves first corneal cross linking system for treatment
- Multifocal contact lens effective at treating myopia in kids
- FTC proposes Contact Lens Rule changes
- Opternative issued cease and desist order
- Legislation targets prescription verification deceptive internet sales tactics
- Proposed 2017 Medicare fee schedule released
- AOA calls for federal investigation
- Not meeting attesting to MU Hardship exceptions available
- AOA files expansive FDA complaint against Opternative
- AOA commends FTC action against 1-800 Contacts
- New round of HIPAA compliance audits underway
- MACRA final rule offers flexibility
- Avoid meaningful use penalties apply for hardship exception by July 1
- AOA calls for federal investigation (update)
- How doctors of optometry can diagnose a rare disorder
- AOA asks NBEO for assurances on data
- How astigmatism affects reading fluency
AOA members report wind and rain damage, but harder to overcome are widespread power outages in the greater New Orleans area—and it could be days to weeks before power is fully restored. Optometry’s Fund for Disaster Relief, created to help doctors of optometry in the wake of Hurricane Katrina 16 years ago, can aid doctors and students.
The public health emergency continues to cast its shadow on a new school year, but it’s far from the only thing on educators’ minds. How are optometric faculty and staff preparing for the year ahead?
With wildfires burning and a prediction of an active hurricane season, doctors of optometry and students have somewhere to turn for financial support in the event of disaster. Optometry’s Fund for Disaster Relief (OFDR) is optometry's exclusive financial support program that provides immediate assistance to those in need after disasters. Learn how to apply for a grant or make a donation.