Being an AOA member means having access to a wealth of benefits, including staying in the know about important advocacy and practice management developments as well as the opportunity to network with other professionals. To foster growth of your practice and your career, AOAExcel® offers exclusive products and services that have been evaluated with the needs of AOA members in mind.
The AOAExcel website has been redesigned and integrated into AOA.org to make it easier for members to discover more about the benefits available to them all in one place. Visit aoa.org/aoaexcel to learn more, and get a snapshot of AOAExcel's offerings below.
9 AOAExcel benefits exclusively for members
- Malpractice insurance. AOAExcel offers malpractice insurance that covers the full spectrum of procedures and services permitted by individual states and automatically updates doctors' coverage to reflect any future change in their state's laws. Members can get a 30-second quick quote to see how much they can save.
- Retirement planning. Solutions are offered for both individuals and practices. Stay on track with retirement goals and create a personalized retirement plan.
- Practice financing. Doctors looking to secure financing to acquire a practice or equipment need look no further. And new doctors can take advantage of the complimentary Practice Heartbeat® program to help develop the management, analytical and competitive skills crucial to growth.
- HIPAA compliance. It is estimated that 70% of health care providers are not HIPAA compliant. All-online compliancy training and tracking software is available to keep doctors free of worry.
- Merchant processing. As of Oct. 1, 2015, a shift in regulations requires all U.S. merchants to be able to accept "chip-and-pin" credit cards in order to avoid liability in the case of fraud. Chip-card-enabled merchant processing is available to members at a special rate.
- Group insurance. Group Term Life Insurance programs are tailored specifically to the needs of doctors of optometry.
- Optometry's Career Center. Whether doctors are looking to hire or are looking for their next opportunity, Optometry's Career Center is the place to go. Employers and seekers can search and post openings in their practices, upload resumes and apply online.
- Cyberliability insurance. Patient health and financial information is the newest target for cybercriminals as data breaches afflict the health care industry's relatively lax cybersecurity. Cyberliability insurance keeps patients and practices safe.
- Assistance for recent graduates. Discounted rates on educational loans, career assistance and other special programs are available, catered specifically to recent optometry school graduates.
The AOA will use the time to evaluate its collection efforts and create a registry for the future that is most useful to improving eye health and vision care. The AOA launched the registry in 2015.
Even if you’re choosing to disengage, today’s politics have a way of finding you. What are the ground rules for approaching political debates in the practice?
Under new rules for the 21st Century Cures Act, doctors of optometry will need to prepare for changes going into effect April 5. Doctors should check in with their health IT vendor in order to make sure they meet the new requirements.