Submit MIPS data by April 30
Doctors of optometry participating in the Merit-based Incentive Payment System (MIPS) received a reprieve from some Quality Payment Program (QPP) deadlines and requirements to help facilitate the health care system's response to the new coronavirus, COVID-19.
On March 22, the Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services (CMS) extended the 2019 MIPS data submission deadline to April 30, 2020. Doctors who already submitted MIPS data or those submitting before April 30 will be scored and receive a MIPS payment adjustment based on submitted data. Consequently, doctors wishing to submit data and be scored can take advantage of AOA resources and guidance on MIPS participation.
Additionally, any MIPS eligible clinicians who have not submitted any data by April 30, 2020, will qualify for the automatic extreme and uncontrollable circumstances policy and will not be penalized (doctors will receive a neutral payment adjustment) for the 2021 MIPS payment year.
The decision to extend MIPS deadlines and requirements came after the AOA sought an extension from CMS on March 16. The CMS notes it continues to evaluate options for providing relief around participation and data submission for 2020.
Doctor should also be aware that if you started the MIPS attestation process but are unable to complete the attestation due to challenges created by the current public health emergency, you can apply for an exemption. Learn more about the QPP's COVID-19 response and how to apply.
How to report
Doctors can attest through AOA MORE (Measures and Outcomes Registry for Eyecare) or by using the QPP website. Specifically, practices choosing to report through AOA MORE must complete the attestation steps within AOA MORE by 5 p.m. ET, so their data can be submitted and meet CMS' 8 p.m. ET deadline on April 30. Doctors should confirm their participation status to determine if they are required to submit data.
To aid doctors and their staff members, AOA MORE is offering resources that will enable them to efficiently and successfully submit their data (six quality measures, improvement activities and promoting interoperability measures). Properly submitting the data protects members' Medicare reimbursements against penalties. AOA MORE resources include:
- Via AOA MORE attestation portal, doctors and staff can log in and begin the process of submitting their data to CMS.
- Review AOA's webinar: 2019 MIPS Reporting through AOA MORE for step-by-step instructions.
- An AOA MORE hotline at 314.983.4270 or email the department at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Note that AOA MORE does not automatically submit a practice's data to CMS. You must log in and complete the steps described in the webinar link above to provide AOA permission to submit your 2019 MIPS data to CMS.
New for 2019 data submission
- For the first time, providers will be required to declare a filing status:
- Eligible (required to report).
- Opt-in eligible as an individual or group:
- You agree during attestation that your data will be reviewed and scored, which would subject you to payment penalties or payment bonuses.
- Voluntary report as an individual or group:
- You will be scored but not at risk for penalties or bonuses.
The AOA 2021 Virtual Learning Livecast, Oct. 1-2, offers over a dozen courses specifically geared toward integrated, doctor-paraoptometric education. But registration closes Monday, Sept. 27.