With the rise of web-based activity resulting from the COVID-19 pandemic has come a rise in malicious emails targeting healthcare organizations. Phishing emails are emails sent by hackers that impersonate a trusted entity such as a coworker, business, or government agency. These emails often prompt recipients to click on a malicious link, subsequently allowing hackers access to sensitive data. The best way to prevent a phishing attack is being able to recognize phishing emails.
Protect your practice by bringing these 5 phishing email indicators to your next staff meeting:
- The sender’s email address contains typos or lacks a business domain. Before opening an email, recipients should hover over the email address to carefully check the email address.
- Personal information such as login credentials is requested.
- The email is poorly written.
- Unsolicited attachments are included.
- Links are included that redirect to an external website.
Even if your staff is on the lookout for phishing emails, accidents can still happen. Employing an effective HIPAA compliance program can help protect your practice from phishing attacks and other data breaches.
As the endorsed solution of AOAExcel, Compliancy Group offers HIPAA compliance to AOA members. Expert Compliance CoachesTM guide members through implementing an effective HIPAA compliance program. Compliancy Group simplifies compliance, allowing doctors of optometry to focus on what they do best, treating patients. Connect with Compliancy Group to find out more about protecting your practice from phishing attacks and maintaining your practice's HIPAA Compliance.
With the recent rise in ransomware attacks within the healthcare industry it’s important to be aware of the latest trends. Bring these ransomware prevention tips to your next staff meeting.