Educate Your Community
The AOA reaches out to media outlets across the country to inform consumers of the importance of eye health and vision care provided by optometrists. You can do the same in your local community by utilizing the customizable resources on this page.
Public education and campaign materials
Available for your use are customizable news releases, social media posts, infographics and other campaign resources that cover a number of vision and eye-health related topics. Not only are these tools useful to educate your patients and the public, but they provide an opportunity for you to market your practice and services to your community.
Also available are PowerPoint presentations that can be used for health events, school meetings and other assemblies.
Questions? Please email Susan Thomas.
Handouts, presentations & infographics
- Children’s Eye Health Activity Sheet
- Children's Screen Time Social Media Video
- Children’s Vision (overview)
- Children’s Vision State Legislation / Advocacy Resources ( Children's Vision Advocacy Toolkit )
- Key Components for Comprehensive Eye & Vision Examination in School-Age Children Vision Exam Fact Sheet
- Pediatric eye health and vision care guide for parents: AOA Pediatric Guidelines 6-Page Summary
- Pediatric eye health and vision care guide for pediatricians: AOA Pediatric Guidelines For Health Care Providers
- Scout Vision Patch Awareness Program
A Vision Awareness Patch Program has been created to help members start an awareness program to reach out to the thousands of scouts in their community.
- Sports and Performance Vision Toolkit:
By making connections with youth athletic leaders and educating them on the important link between visual skills and sport performance, your practice and your community will benefit. The letter included here, part of the AOA Sports and Performance Vision Committee’s (SPVC) forthcoming 2021 Toolkit, can be downloaded, modified, and personalized to be shared with individuals in your community involved with youth athletic activities. We encourage you to connect with athletic leaders in your area, like school athletic directors or head coaches, to create long-term referral relationships and improve the health and vision care of local athletes. Sports Performance Toolkit
- Understanding the Difference Between Vision Screenings and Vision Examinations
Digital Eye Strain
General Eye Health and Vision
- Glaucoma: Knowing the Facts Can Save Your Sight
- Downloadable Infographic and template press release
- Glaucoma, often called the “sneak thief of sight,” frequently has no symptoms and, if left untreated, can lead to complete loss of sight. Educate your patients about the importance of an annual, comprehensive eye exam for early intervention with a downloadable infographic and template press release.
Smoking and eyes
- Smoking, as well as 'vaping' (also referred to as e-cigs), can be harmful to your eyes, in particular for contact lens wearers. Download this helpful fact sheet for your patients
- In addition, this customizable press release can be sent to your local media, and social media posts can be personalized for your practice's social media channels, such as Facebook. Use these content messaging resources, including an infographic, to educate your patients on the dangers of smoking and vaping.
- The annual Great American Smokeout, observed on the third Thursday of each November, offers an opportunity to use these materials to generate awareness of smoking cessation.
Congressional action is needed to stave off a trio of pay cuts totaling almost 10% of Medicare physicians’ reimbursement. Here’s how you can help.